Which modern language should I learn? Which is the most useful language to learn? If you are asking yourself these questions, you are in the right place. In this article, I’m going to show you five popular languages that are worth learning (besides for English). Here they are!
Spanish, German and French are the most useful world languages after English. In my opinion, Spanish, especially if you live in the United States, is the most useful language to learn. There are 20 countries where Spanish is an official language, it’s spoken in Europe, South, Central and North America and there are about 35 million Spanish speakers in the United States.
French, which is similar to Spanish (they are both Romance languages), is also a world language – it’s spoken in Europe, Africa and North America (Canada, mainly in Quebec). It’s an official language of 30 countries, but most of them are in Africa. If you travel a lot or if there are many French speakers in your city (especially if you live in Canada), it’s a great idea to learn French.
Asian languages are getting more and more useful. Why? Because most Asian countries are rapidly developing (or are already developed). As a result, the languages of these countries are getting more and more popular. More and more people start to learn Mandarin Chinese. Korean is also a excellent idea, especially if you want to become an ESL teacher there. And Japanese – the language of one of the wealthiest countries in the world.
That’s the answer to your question “which modern language should I learn”! However, don’t forget that you should choose a style that you simply like. The website effortlesslearner puts it very well – You shouldn’t learn a language because it’s popular – you should learn a language because you genuinely want to learn it.
Reaching this new audience entails adapting a website to the target audience’s language, in a way that will be clear and coherent to them; this is known as localizing. Correct localization of websites is always a task best undertaken by a professional translation company. These are easy to locate, and some excellent translation companies in London will successfully undertake this task.
There are many strategies for deciding which languages’ websites should be localized to, but assuming that a product or service is not region or culture specific, a much-used strategy is to localize and market to the top 10 most popular languages on the internet.
This strategy logically utilizes the modus operandi of reaching out to the largest possible audience. A fair comparison of the top 10 internet languages against the rest will demonstrate its worth; the top 10 internet languages make up around 85% of the total languages used on the internet, and the remaining languages combined make up the remaining 15%
.As can be seen, even in the period of a single year, there have been some important changes in the rankings of the top 10 languages. You will note that Russian has been relegated altogether!
The factors driving these changes are varied but in large measure equate to increases in the availability of or access to computers in certain countries; look at the climbers this year…Spanish, French, and Arabic. In their way, the ascent of each of these languages could be said to be attributed to just such a technological spread; Spanish via the Southern Americas, French via its usage in large parts of Africa and Arabic via attempts at modernization throughout most Arab States.
Whatever the cause, though, any company who has a multinational marketing strategy, would be best advised to always keep these language rankings firmly in mind; if marketing expenditure is allocated proportionally to language ranking then disproportionate spends on countries whose positions have changed (see Russia’s change) would skew cost/return ratios detrimentally.